FOI Request

Nyamat Singh

12666 72 Ave, 
Surrey, BC V3W 2M8
nyamat.singh@email.kpu.ca
(604) 599-2000

October 27, 2022 

 

Tiffany Fan

Freedom of Information Specialist
The University of British Columbia
Office of the University Counsel
6328 Memorial Road
Vancouver BC V6T 1Z2

 

Dear Ms. Fan: 

Under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, please provide me with: 

• A copy of all the records regarding the number of students that dropped out of university since Jan. 1, 2022 along with the Majors declared by them. 

If possible, please provide a spreadsheet of the requested information in electronic format, emailed to me at nyamat.singh@email.kpu.ca.

If there are any concerns, please contact me at (604) 599-2000. 

Please let me know when the material is available for release.

Sincerely, 

 

Nyamat Singh

 

 

Explanation for request:

There has been a significant increase in the number of students that dropout of colleges in the recent years. The dropout numbers can also be linked to the unemployment rates among the students. I am interested in knowing what major has the highest dropout rate and is thus comparatively less popular among students. I want to observe the pattern of dropout in the past year and also how the pandemic affected the numbers. 

 

 

Related articles:

https://educationdata.org/college-dropout-rates

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/05/23/opinion/sunday/college-graduation-rates-ranking.html

https://nscresearchcenter.org/current-term-enrollment-estimates/

 

 

 

Comments

  1. I like how this can be seen as a personal to everyone in this class as we are all attending post secondary so it would be interesting to see how many people drop their courses. One thing you could add to add more depth to your request is that you could request for reasonings for dropping out of university and see how many different reasons are given.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea and also the relevance of the topic. I do think you should be careful though about assuming those who dropout from university/college will also be unemployed. I think it's hard to prove a cause and effect relationship.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Data Viz Analysis