Data Update 1

 1.    What data set will you use for your final report? (title of your dataset, include a link to it and claim it at the URL above). 

Title: Canadian postsecondary students belonging to a visible minority group, by region of study 

URL: https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/tv.action?pid=3710024801

2.    Describe the dataset. What kind of data does it contain? 

The dataset contains data about post-secondary students belonging to a visible minority group in Canada from 2015 to 2021 by their region of study. The data from each year consists of the number of students belonging to these groups enrolled in certificate programs, diplomas, undergraduate, master’s and doctoral degrees. I am interested in seeing how this number has increased or decreased over the years and which region has seen a considerable change in enrolment. 

3.    Is there anything about your data that you don’t understand? (i.e. what a column heading means). How will you find this out? 

I can understand most of the data. 

4.    What are some questions you hope to answer with your data? List at least three. (you don’t need the answers at this point) 

a.    How has the number of visible minority groups changed over time?

b.    Which regions have the highest share of visible minority groups?

c.     Which groups have the highest number of students enrolled in post-secondary? 

 

Comments

  1. Hi Nyamat, this is a great data set and I am interested to see how the numbers have changed most and in which region for minority groups enrolled in post secondary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nyamat, I like the data set you chose because I feel like more and more international students are coming to Canada to study so it would be cool to see when the increase was. Overall, great data update!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi its really a good topic to cover up and also important from the perpective of an international student all in all its a good topic of research and the data is also great so overall its great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. More and more international students are choosing to study in Canada, and this data also reveals this situation. You can also see a growing trend in the data. Overall this is a very good report and it is relevant to us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Nyamat, those questions sound like interesting topics, I wonder over what period of time your dataset covers, and if it spans a long enough time for you to draw many conclusions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a huge dataset. Your description of the data is quite detailed. It's great that you manage to process this dataset. I'm wondering if you will make clear the difference between undergraduate degrees, graduate degrees, and doctoral degrees. Even though they are all post-secondary education, there seems to be a huge gap of knowledge and prestige between them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great choice and topic! This dataset is huge, but if you look specific points of the data as you mentioned, I think it'll end up great! Interesting questions too. Excited to see where this will go, good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Data Viz Analysis